Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sweet Corn and Crab Fritters

A lighter summer fresh version of a classicOkay, I could have waited for winter to enjoy this crab fritter recipe... and I have to say, we do get amazing crab in November and December here on the coast. But I had several ears of corn left over and I happen to love corn with crab.



You know, there are some foods that are meant to go together. In fact, many of them pair so well that they have become classic foods that we are all familiar with...Pancakes and Syrup, Peas and Mint, Spaghetti and Meatballs, Bacon and Eggs Peanut Butter and Jelly and of course (and this is for the best sister in law in the world. Cris) Scotch and Ice!!!!

Well, needless to say this is an easy light recipe that I will be going back to often. You can serve this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Cold or hot. Appetizer or entree. Super versatile.



The ingredients I used are:


6 ears of corn
3 ounces crab meat
1 medium onion grate
2 tablespoons fresh coriander chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
3 eggs , lightly beaten
3 tablespoons flour
salt
freshly ground pepper
peanut oil


Cut the sweet corn kennels from the cob with a sharp knife.

Here is a good trick that I'm sure most people know but it took me years of corn rolling all over the counter and floor before I figured this one out.




Mix together all the ingredients except the oil and refrigerate for at least half a day. This is an important step so everything sticks together well.


Heat a few spoonfuls of oil in a heavy fry pan and drop in heaping and slightly flattened tablespoons of the crab mixture. This is kind of like making pancakes. Fry in batches briskly until brown and flip and cook the other side. A WORD OF WARNING the corn pops and spatters so beware so you don't get burned on the hand or God forbid the face. My husband laughed and said I looked like a boxer...Ducking and weaving.



Drain the fritters on paper towels and keep warm Serve as soon as possible.

These were so crispy and sweet. So much lighter than traditional crab cakes. The one thing I wished I would have served this with was a roasted poblano and yuzu coulis.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment